Something blue

This month's theme for the amateur nail art challenge over at The Crumpet is "blue". I'm really into blue these days so I was all over this, and I knew immediately what I wanted to do: the TARDIS. I'm a huge Doctor Who fan, I love that time lord and his trusty ship disguised as a blue police call box.

I've also seen some gorgeous Starry Night nails around, and if you've watched Series 5 of Doctor Who, you'll probably guess where this is heading... and if you haven't, well, I'm not going to spoil it for you, because you really should watch it, even if you usually don't watch the show.
So here are my nails, inspired by the episode "Vincent and the Doctor", this digital artwork based on the episode, and, of course, Vincent van Gogh's masterwork.
Source: Google Art Project via Wikimedia

Diesen Monat ist das Thema bei der Nageldesign-Challenge von The Crumpet "blau" und nachdem ich gerade mitten in einer blauen Phase stecke, passte das perfekt. Ich wusste auch sofort, was ich machen wollte: die TARDIS. Ich bin ein riesiger Fan von Doctor Who und seinem Zeit-und Raumschiff TARDIS, das aussieht wie eine blaue Telefonzelle.
Ich habe auch schon einige tolle Nageldesigns mit Van Goghs Sternennacht gesehen und die ist ja auch so schön blau... wenn ihr die 5. Staffel des neuen Doctor Who gesehen habt, ahnt ihr wohl schon, worauf ich hinauswill. Und wenn nicht, will ich euch nichts weiter verraten, weil ich euch empfehle zumindest diese eine Folge anzuschauen, auch wenn ihr sonst nicht Doctor Who schaut.
Meine Inspirationen waren also die Folge "Vincent and the Doctor", dieses davon inspirierte digitale Bild sowie natürlich van Goghs Meisterwerk.
The game is on.



I didn't get to it right away though because I was busy, then ill, then busy again, but most of all because I felt I needed proper tools for this. Luckily I had already placed an order for brushes and dotting tools, and when it arrived a couple of days ago, I set to work right away - well, almost right away, first I went to get light blue and brown nail polish to complete my palette.






essence 33 just in case, p2 950 like a movie star, 920 up in the air


Ich hab nicht sofort damit angefangen, weil ich im Stress und krank war, aber vor allem, weil ich dafür gute Pinsel haben wollte. Zum Glück hatte ich ein paar Tage vor Verkündung der Challenge schon eine Bestellung aufgegeben und als sie nun nach einigen Wochen eintrudelte, ging ich nur mal schnell Hellblau und Braun kaufen, die mir fehlten (wirklich nur mal schnell - seht mal, nur ein extra Nagellack hat sich reingeschmuggelt...) und dann ging's los.






The whole thing took me about three hours and I'm insanely proud of how it turned out. I've added photos of the process below in case you're interested. 
I'm also experimenting with watermarking, what do you think of mine? Is it too obtrusive or not visible enough? I've decided I want to keep using a Creative Commons license but would prefer to give out non-watermarked pictures only on request to avoid unattributed use of my pictures. That means if someone wants to use them for a blog post or collage or what have you, I'll be happy to send them pictures if they don't want to use them with the watermark. I have no idea if anyone cares about my nails, to be honest, but this took so much work that I'd rather be safe than sorry.


Das Ganze hat etwa 3 Stunden gedauert und ich muss sagen, dass ich wirklich stolz auf das Resultat bin. Weiter unten gibt's noch einige Making of-Bilder, falls euch der Prozess interessiert.
Ich verwende hier auch erstmals ein Wasserzeichen. Wie findet ihr's, zu auffällig, zu unauffällig? Ich will weiterhin eine Creative Commons-Lizenz verwenden und stelle auf Anfrage gerne unmarkierte Bilder zur Verfügung falls sie jemand z. B. für eine Collage oder einen Blogpost verwenden will, aber das Wasserzeichen soll ein Schutz dagegen sein, dass jemand Bilder von mir benutzt ohne auf meine Urheberschaft hinzuweisen. Ich weiß echt nicht, ob sich überhaupt irgendwer für meine Nägel interessiert, aber weil ich in diese Mani so viel reingesteckt hab, möchte ich mich gerne absichern.


Eins ist auf jeden Fall fix: Diese Mani kommt erst ab, wenn es wirklich sein muss.
Euer blaumachendes Nagelnewbie
I can tell you one thing for sure: I'm not taking this mani off until I really have to.
The could-talk-about-the-Doctor-until-she's-blue-in-the-face nail newbie


Making of:
















I had light swirls underneath the TARDIS  and the moon but didn't like them as much as solid blue...
 

...so I painted over them again.



8 comments:

  1. Love this one to an insane degree! muhahaha :))
    Seriously, this is awesome! I love how you just go for it - I'm always so stupidly scared to try something a little more artsy (for, believe me, my drawing skills can't even compare to those of cave men they are so low ;))
    I really enjoyed this mani - it gives me the motivation to try out artsy stuff as well! so... thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, by the way, the watermark is not always too visible, which I think should be - it is your signature, after all :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps. I'm going to share this one on my blog's FB page - how can I not? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you! I don't know what to say, you're awesome. :)

      Just go for it, what's the worst that can happen? If it doesn't look good, you can just clean it off again (I should know, I've gone through a whole bottle of polish remover in the last two months and I usually wear my manis for as long as they'll stay). That's what I like about nail art, you have a canvas that you can use again and again.

      Delete
    2. pps. I've just voted for you on The Crumpet! heheh :))

      Delete
  4. WOW. Amazing! They look really awesome! I love how that at first glance you'd just look like a Van Gogh fan, but if you look closer then you can see the TARDIS too. I'm really impressed, especially because you didn't "cheat" and use acrylic paints! You've /definitely/ got my vote in the Crumpet's contest (even though I entered myself!)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments!
Comment moderation is enabled so your comment won't appear right away but at least you can be sure I read every single comment and try to answer them as fast as possible :)

Hallo! Ich freu mich sehr über jeden Kommentar!
Da sie moderiert sind, erscheinen sie nicht sofort, aber dafür könnt ihr euch sicher sein, dass ich auch jeden einzelnen lese :) Ich werd so schnell wie möglich darauf antworten.

Copyright © 2013 To boldly polish and Blogger Templates - Anime OST.
Social media icons (except gfc) by

Photobucket